Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I can already smell the pungent aroma of Christmas


So guys, here it is. I'm coming out. I have stepped out of the closet and am now admitting that I am a bit of a Christmasaholic. Last Saturday I did a terrible thing. I put my Christmas tree up - on the 11th of November no less. Somebody stop me. Then Monday it got even worse. I did some Christmas shopping - correction - finished my Christmas shopping. And this done even under the stipulations that Gord and I have placed for ourselves of only purchasing ethical gifts this year. I am a nut, I know, but I have to admit it does give me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling inside. That is, until I step inside the door to go to work. For those of you who don't know I work in a mall and since Monday morning, when you step inside everystore and escalator is practically screaming Christmas! (Well, technically Consumerism!) Then I remember that in just a few weeks time, I will start to hear the constant battery of Christmas carols/songs on the radio and I will be bombarded with different requests to join in the Secret Santa festivities and there will be an endless supply of good intetioned but hip-widening baking. When will the madness end? But, I guess that's what makes the season, the season. Or so it seems. And then I take a look at my little navtivity scene which I just got last year. I notice with a giggle for about the 50th time that little baby Jesus still has his umbilical cord in my version. Which makes me think - it really was that real. Our savior came humbly, all bloody and gucky and yes, folks, he had an umbilical cord too. This he did all just for us this human race of "all i want for Christmas" and santa and baking. He did this for us. So we would remember. Emmanuel.

3 comments:

Louise said...

Janice (and Gord),

Great blog! I am definitely hooked and will continue to check it continually so keep the posts coming! Maybe you want to help me write my blog as well, I think it would be a lot more interesting then...you're a great writer. Plus you must have so much time on your hands considering you're basically finished getting ready for Christmas! Everyone here was making fun of me because I started writing my Christmas cards a week or two ago! I don't know who is worse really. Haha

Tchüss, Tchüss, Chow!

Louise (and Bri)

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'm almost done my shopping too and it feels good. I hate shopping when everyone is at the mall and you can't find a parking spot. Try going overseas for a Christmas and then trying to adjust to the consumerism when you return. It's really hard.
Welcome to the blogging world!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you have a blog. Looking forward to keeping in touch.