Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Community

I've been thinking a lot lately about the community surrounding me.  And how integral community has become in my life.  You see, I knew that having a baby would change my life completely and I knew that it would be difficult.  I just never foresaw the degree to which both of these statements would be true.  Having Gavin join our lives has been wonderful.  But so damn hard that we never could have done it without the community around us.  From the beginning with people bringing us meals and all along the way with people checking in to make sure that we are okay the community we are a part of upholds us.
A few weeks ago one of the girls at church talked about the culture of casseroles.  How blessed I am to be a part of this culture where caring for one another is the norm, not the exception.  The first four months with Gavin have been so, so hard.  From feeding issues to sleep issues to mommy issues I have wanted to pack up and leave so many times it's not even funny.  And I know that I'm not the first person to ever have a baby.  This is just the first time it's my own reality.  And I am SO grateful for the many friends and family that have walked beside me and just been there.  Awaken church, you are so incredibly vital to who we have become as a family.
As I write I am watching Gavin explore his way around an activity centre, squealing with each turn of the plastic pieces.  And I think about how I hope I remember how this feels in the not so distant future and am able myself to walk alongside others in my community with their own needs and be to them what they have been to me.


Gavin flying and listening to songs with Grandpa Bushman on a recent Saskatoon trip!

2 comments:

Linda B-squared said...

Well said Janice! And you totally will be able to pass it on as each experience gives you wisdom. And with strong community you are able to draw from another's strength when you are faced with something even harder... and that again gives you wisdom. Trusting God will carry you through.

Linda

Trev and Rebekah said...

Such a cute little boy.

I have been thinking lots about how I will be missing (and already miss) my community and family when our baby arrives. I have no clue if family will be here and with me most likely having a c-section I wonder what it will look like and if I will feel lonely and how things will go but I have to trust the Father will care for me and my family.

So glad you have community to walk with you! And yes it is hard those first few months and other moments too.